lunedì 31 luglio 2017

How do I love thee? / Come ti Amo? by Elizabeth Browning Barrett

[English Version]

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways./I love thee to the depth and breadth and height/My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight/For the ends of being and ideal grace./I love thee to the level of every day’s/Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light./I love thee freely, as men strive for right./I love thee purely, as they turn from praise./I love thee with the passion put to use/In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith./I love thee with a love I seemed to lose/With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,/Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,/I shall but love thee better after death./

Today I want to talk to you about a poem telling you a way of loving that goes beyond the banality of modern love. Poetry is "How do I love thee?" By Elizabeth Browning Barrett.
The poem is addressed to her husband Robert Browing, the text opens with the question: "How do I love thee?" and all poetry is focused on describing the answer to the question.
This work is very sweet, partly in rhyme and a beautiful musical cadence even when not in rhyme. The theme of the work is of course love, but it is a love not only concrete, but sacred. In this sacredness, in the text, we can find various religious references.
It is beautiful and passionate, you should read it, you will not regret.
Enjoy the read!

[Italian Version]

Come ti amo? Lascia che ti descriva i modi.
Ti amo fino agli estremi di profondità ed altezza ed estensione
che la mia anima può raggiungere, quando al di là del corporeo
per le estremità dell'essere e della grazia ideali.
Ti amo nelle piccole necessità di ogni giorno,
alla luce del sole e al lume di candela.
Ti amo liberamente, come gli uomini che si battono per il giusto.
Ti amo puramente, come coloro che si ritraggono dalla lode.
Ti amo con la passione che mettevo
nelle mie vecchie pene, e con la fede della mia infanzia.
Ti amo con un amore che credevo aver perduto 
con i miei santi. Ti amo con il respiro,
Sorrisi, lacrime, di tutta la mia vita; E, se Dio vorrà,
Ti amerò ancora di più dopo la morte.


Oggi voglio parlarvi di una poesia che racconta un modo di amare che supera la banalità del amore moderno. La poesia è "Come ti Amo?" di Elizabeth Browning Barrett.
La poesia è indirizzata al marito Robert Browing, il testo si apre con la domanda: "quanto ti amo?" e tutta la poesia è incentrata sulla descrizione della risposta al quesito.
Questa è un'opera molto dolce, parzialmente in rima e con una bella cadenza musicale anche quando non è in rima. Il tema ovviamente è l'amore, ma è un amore non solo concreto, ma sacro. A questa sacralità vengono accostati riferimenti religiosi vari.
Bellissima e appassionante, leggetela, non ve ne pentirete.
Buona lettura!


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento